Skip to main content

Practicing What I Preach

I've never claimed to have all of the answers, just some of them. In my thirty-something plus years, I have accumulated enough scars and baggage to last the next ice age. But I'm moving on from all of it, letting it all go and beginning a new, more positive way of living and thinking. I always have advice for friends, "Just keep thinking positive." "Let it go." Some phrases I'm notorious for. But something that happened this weekend that brought up some painful things that I thought I was over and by my reaction, I clearly wasn't. 


I even demanded an apology from this person. In response, he said, "Why don't just let it go?" Hmm. I could have punched him in the face for that very statement. Too proud at the moment to admit it, I was ashamed. No doubt about it, he was wrong in the past and the transgressions he committed against me and my family had piled up and the consequences still affect my son and I till this very moment. But where was my fault in the entire situation? However minute in comparison, I did have something to own in it all.


I was bitter. I acted bitter. I told people details of why I was bitter. This person was constantly reminded that I was bitter. Every time I saw him, I showed my bitterness. But my bitterness also affected the person I loved the most, my son.


So I apologized to him. It sounds crazy to say. But when I apologized, I put an end to the leak that was affecting my supply of positivity. I let it go. In my daily life, I'm already constantly reminded of what this person did. But if I would like to lead by example, I had to let it go. Heal and move forward, for real this time.


So to that person: I will forgive your transgression but not the fact that it is defining your character. In other words: If you're jacked up, unless you learn from your mistakes and correct said character flaws, you WILL repeat them. In Layman's terms: If you are a liar, unless you own it and change, you will always be a liar. Same with cheaters and thieves. And I will learn from our history and just stay away from you. 


Still sounds bitter, huh. Time does not heal all wounds and forgiveness is a big, nasty pill to swallow. But when it goes down, all of the bitterness comes right out. Hopefully never to return. I'm still learning from everything that has happened, but it will not define my reality or future. I'm still on my journey, so please forgive me. I'm learning to practice what I preach.


A portion of this blog is an excerpt from my upcoming book, "Saggy Boobs, Stretch Marks and Saddle Bags."




Visit MissBirdiesBooks.com

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Complaining About Tyler Perry

After reading article after article, hearing complaint after complaint. I'm tired of hearing people complain about Tyler Perry. In the seat of public opinion, everyone is allowed to have their opinion. #1 Complaint: Because of using Madea. He's described as a "Clown" "Buffoon" "Drag". "Tyler Perry has gotten rich off of exploiting Black Women." -  is the most popular. Yes, he has built his career with Madea, a pistol packing, abrasive no-nonsense woman with stereotypical toxic behaviors but still relatable grandmother figure. A long ignored truth  is that black women aren't feeling protected in our communities. It is no secret that black women are silenced, with our health, our children, our men, out in the workforce. We get called bitches for having power in our voices, people tremble and call us toxic when we stand up for ourselves. We want to be there for our men but the truth is, a lot of black men don't know how to lov

Cancel Culture: The Ultimate Bully

I was going through my 2020 schedule for event bookings and felt compelled to add as a disclaimer that I don't participate in political or religious discussions. Call me old fashioned, it's none of your business how I feel about God or Government. Don't get me wrong, I have a strong viewpoint but I won't be baited into having it and telling you about it. There are millions of people that feel that way. Once upon a time, people (famous and not famous) were able to use Social Media to vent. To say what they wanted with no fear. You could Tweet, Post, picture, video your opinions and positions, say what they ate, wore, what was going on with their day; whatever. Phones were even made to make this access easier. And whether people either liked it or didn't, everyone went about their day and none were the wiser. Until one day, years later, a dark, internet soldier decides to dig deep, like 10 years deep into your background, actually looking for where and when you chos

SHIFT UP!!!

SO... Yes it's been awhile. Living life and stuff. The thing is, in my absence here, I've sincerely been taking care of business for myself and Bam. Now, it's time for me to share what I've learned with you. I wrote a few books, crossed over a few genres but still stayed within self help. Now more for adults. I realized that to help the children that my earlier books highlight, I also have to help the people entrusted with their care. You can't pour from an empty cup. We all do it. Give energy and resources that we honestly don't have. After doing that (and burning out several times) I've come up with a new philosophy for myself. "You'll get there Birdie, one moment, one day at a time." Simple, right? How? That's the other piece of the philosophy, it's by "Shifting Up." To shift by definition, is a slight change in emphasis, direction or focus. By shifting up, you make small changes towards a better life. That's wh